Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Tudors


TLC reviews and recommends 'The Tudors' Fanfiction.

Set music to “Rock Superstar” by Cyprus Hill…

So, TLC, you wanna be an officer at FanFicAholics Anon?

Of course, I do.

Well, TLC, this is what you gotta do . . . . You give me your application and do your officer challenges, and we shall see if you've got what it takes to be worthy of becoming an Officer here at FFA ANON.

So, for the past two weeks, that is what I have done. I was given the challenge of finding two fics, from two different fandoms, to review and recommend, and it was definitely difficult. I felt like I was cheating on my beloved Edward the whole time, but this is something I want so badly, so I bucked up and did it.
Let me tell you, it was not an easy feat, because the Twi-universe has taken over my life. I had to look into things that either once held my interest, or had stood the test of time by captivating my interests, giving me something totally different than the offerings from the Twidom.

I found that the Twidom is seriously lacking historical fics, or perhaps, I just have a hard time finding them. Either way, I tried to find some historical fics.

Cue The Tudors . . . That’s right. The show about King Henry VIII on Showtime.

I just started watching the show, not too long ago, when it became available on Netflix, and let me tell you, this show does not disappoint. Whew, it’s HAWT!

The Tudors’ fandom on FFN.net is pretty small, so I did some digging. I came across some really epic fics, epic meaning long. I didn’t have much luck finding any with an M-rating, but hit the jackpot when I dropped down to the T-rating. They have some seriously epic writers, but I had a deadline to meet and didn’t have time to read anything really, really long.

That’s when I came across ReganX.

ReganX has written a fudgeton of stories for all different kinds of fandoms, but her focus lately has been on the Tudors. What originally piqued my interest was the fact that she has videos to go with some of her fics. That had sealed the deal for me. I chose to read 'Reversal'.


Reversal takes you back to the times of kings and queens and does not disappoint. It asks if you were offered a chance to take back the greatest mistake of your life, but had to pay a pretty high price, would you?

The story begins almost a year after Anne Boleyn has been beheaded. Henry is married to Jane Seymour and a suspect that she is finally pregnant with, what he hopes is, a son. He’s happy in his marriage, and while Mary is back into his life, he suspects that Elizabeth was fathered by another in Anne’s treacherous betrayal. Because of this, he has banished her from his sight until Jane and Mary bring Elizabeth back to court as a surprise, and Henry finally realizes that Elizabeth is truly his child.

That night, as he is getting ready for bed, he is haunted by Anne’s memory. At some point, he realizes he is not alone, and there is a presence in his bed chamber. It’s none other than the swordsman hired as Anne’s executioner. After some tense questioning, we learn that the Executioner was sent to take Henry on a journey and show him what really had happened,
what he was too blind to see. At the end of the journey, the Executioner asks Henry if he had the choice to take it all back, would he? But there is truly a high price he must pay. The marriage to Jane and all of his hopes for a male heir, so desperately wanted for England, would be erased, and he must stay married to Anne and never have another wife.

Oh, I’m not going to tell you what he chooses; you have to read for yourself. It’s an incredible journey and so well written that you don’t ever want to leave once you get there. So, when you do read, leave ReganX some love, and tell her where you heard about her.

Here's a link to one of those video's that drew me in. Credit to MagicCrafter for the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment