Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Harry Potter fics that Rock!!





April is Harry Potter month (incase you have been living under a rock and missed that fact) And our very own Constant Comment Tea has some amazing recs for you all to check out. If you have never read a Harry Potter fic, right here is a great place to start!


Dumbledore’s Army and the Year of Darkness by Thanfiction A Harry Potter fan fiction legend (seriously—if you haven’t heard of it, there are legions of DADYverse fans and fan fiction on this fan fiction), Dumbledore’s Army and the Year of Darkness is a must-read for every Harry Potter fan, regardless of normal shipping/ficcing preferences.


Following Neville and the rest of the remaining DA students through their 7th year at Hogwarts, this epic story is written with the same humor, plot twists, and emotional pull-strings as JKR herself. Thanfiction created a fan fiction masterpiece, not only in how well he managed to tie in actual Deathly Hallows events (painting a whole new view of the Hogwarts Battle at the end), but in the simple fact that it’s actually longer than the real 7th book, and I still read the whole thing. From moments that made my stomach hurt with laughter to moments that made my cheeks wet with tears, I was completely lost in this almost-canon world where we get to watch Neville (and other DA members) become the bamf he truly is.




2. The Mark of War by potterfreak “A cold Halloween night, a silver dagger, masked men like phantoms in the dark, a scream for mercy and the Dark Mark dripping blood. Was it only a dream, Harry?” –Summary for The Mark of War Written by an author who is currently pursuing original novel-writing (or was when she last updated her bio), this piece is exquisite. Dark, romantic, and scary, it follows a very non-Mary-Sue original character as a new teacher through Harry’s fifth year at Hogwarts. It was written in 2003 before OotP came out, and I read it at about that time; so while I can’t remember the details, I do remember how it made me cry and how in awe I was of the beautiful writing and the author’s ability to make me completely fall in love with this new character. The Mark of War gets kind of heavy—there’s a torture scene somewhere in there—but in the best possible way. It’s not your typical fan fiction, folks.





3. Prongs Rides Again by BrieflyDel I read this one a very long time ago, but I remember it and still recommend it because it is the only long Marauders-centric fic that I really enjoyed. I’m usually very picky about the kind of stories I read, and being as I usually breeze by Marauders fics, I have no idea how I chose to read this one, but I am so glad I did. It’s fantastically-written: if this person isn’t a well-known published author, they should be. It is a masterful story that takes the entire Harry Potter series to an entirely new world, but in a way that could easily have been canon. The creativity in how the author brings her plot to believable fruition is astounding and so much fun to read. Actually, I think I’m going to go read it again.




Recs by Constant Comment Tea.

2 comments:

  1. Constant Comment Tea did an awesome job on these reviews!!! Some very interesting fic choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only got mildly moist-eyed when reading Deathly Hallows. To this day, I cannot read DAYD without tears streaming down my face by the end.

    Have you seen any of the art that Thanfiction did for it?

    ReplyDelete